In the node detail page
Seyal Chanran Ji Dal
- Duration: 40 minutes
- Serves: 4–6 people
Authentic seyal chanran ji dal has a smooth consistency and taste to it. Prepare the chana dal over low heat and keep stirring it occasionally once the tomatoes have been added.
- 2056 views
Seyal chanran ji dal is one of the few Sindhi recipes that is simple and plain unlike the usual spicy preparations. Traditionally, this dish is paired with the household favourite, dhodho.
- Bengal gram (chana dal) (1 cup)
- Oil (2 tbsp)
- Onions, medium-sized, finely chopped (2)
- MTR Dhaniya/Coriander Powder ( 1 tsp)
- MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- Water (4 cups)
- Tomatoes, medium-sized, finely chopped (2)
- Ginger (adrak), julienned (1-inch piece)
- Garlic cloves, chopped ((2))
- Green chillies (hari mirch), sliced (2)
- Salt ( to taste)
- MTR Garam Masala (1/2 tsp)
- Wash and soak dal in water for 10–15 mins.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker over medium heat. Sauté onion in it till it is light brown in colour.
- Add dal without water, salt, MTR Dhaniya/Coriander Powder, MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder and sauté for a minute.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and close the lid of the pressure cooker. Cook for 2 whistles over medium heat.
- Let the steam release naturally from the pressure cooker. Then open the lid and add chopped tomato, ginger, garlic and green chilies.
- Let the dal cook over low heat till the tomatoes turn soft, it will take about 5–7 mins.
- Once the dal is soft, add 1/2 cup more water and MTR Garam Masala. Cook once again over high heat for 1 whistle.
- Serve seyal chanran ji dal piping hot with dhodho.