In the node detail page
- Duration: 25 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Low
Slice the bitter gourd thinly and evenly. In order to reduce its bitterness add lots of onion, which will lend its natural sweetness when caramalised.
- 686 views
Theeyalor Mezhukkupuratti is a traditional Kerala side dish, which is made using vegetables and fried coconut. It can be made using a single vegetable like bitter gourd or a combination of vegetables like potato, carrot and beans. The fried coconut and spices impart a nice aroma to the dish.
- Bitter gourd (karela), thinly sliced (2)
- Coconut, grated (1 tbsp)
- Onion, thinly sliced (1)
- Green chillies, slit (3)
- Mustard seeds (sarson) (1 tsp)
- Curry leaves (3-4)
- Coconut oil (2 tbsp)
- Salt (To Taste)
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Toss in the sarson.
- Once the sarson crackles, add onion, grated coconut, green chillies and kadipatta. Sauté for a bit.
- Then, add the bitter gourd slices and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid, and cook for 5minutes until the bitter gourd pieces are half-cooked.
- Open the lid and stir-fry it for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the bitter-gourd is fully done and slightly browned.
- Take off the flame and serve with steamed rice and dal or sambhar.