In the node detail page
Mooli Chana Dal
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4 people
Spice Level: Low
Remember to use only the firmest and freshest of the radish for this preparation, or the dal will turn a bit bitter.
- 1579 views
The Mooli Chana Dal or Radish Chana Dal is one of the most unique of the Rajasthani dishes. It originally was concocted in the royal kitchens of the 19th century as part of a cooking fair. Mooli is usually eaten as a salad vegetable, but in Rajasthan it is used extensively as part of various recipes. Mooli Chana Dal is more popular than most other mooli recipes of the state.
- Split chickpeas (chana dal) (1 cup)
- Radish (mooli), sliced into circular discs (½ cup)
- MTR Haldi Turmeric Powder (1 tsp)
- Water (3 cups)
- Oil (2 tsp)
- Cumin seeds (jeera) powder (1 tsp)
- Asafoetida (hing) (a pinch)
- Dry red chillies (sabut lal mirch) (2)
- Onion, chopped (1)
- Garlic (lahsun), minced (1)
- MTR Lal Mirch Red Chilli Powder (½ tsp)
- MTR Dhaniya Coriander Powder (1 tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Wash and soak the chana dal in water for about an hour.
- Wash, peel and chop up the radish into small circular discs.
- In a pressure cooker, toss in the chana dal and mooli along with the MTR Haldi Turmeric Powder and 2 cups of water. Time it to 5 whistles.
- Once done, let the steam escape naturally, open the pressure cooker lid and lightly mash the mix.
- In a kadhai, heat the oil. Then, add in the hing and the minced garlic and keep sautéing till the garlic has turned golden brown.
- Next, add in the jeera, dry red chillies and keep sautéing till the jeera has started to splutter. Then, toss in the onions and keep cooking till they have turned brown in colour.
- Now add in the MTR Lal Mirch Red Chilli Powder, jeera and the MTR Dhaniya Coriander Powder and keep cooking for a minute on a low flame.
- Finally, add in the cooked dal and radish along with some salt. Mix it well and bring to a boil.
- Keep simmering for 5 to 6 minutes on a low flame.
- Mooli Ki Dal is now ready. Serve hot with rice.
What are you craving for?
Maintained by: @The Digital Street