In the node detail page
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Serves: 10-12 people
Spice Level: Medium
As the name suggests, this idli has a spicy flavour that is achieved by adding Sambar powder and mixed vegetables, especially carrots and beans that lend to its unique taste and texture.
- 7623 views
Idlis are a much-loved breakfast staple in Southern states and have gained immense popularity all over India. Masala idli in particular is said to be a preparation created by the famous Udupi restaurants in Mumbai who offer at least 6–8 varieties of idlis in their menus.
- MTR Masala Idli Mix (2 cups)
- Curd (dahi) (1 cup)
- Carrots (gajar), very finely chopped and parboiled (2 tbsp)
- French beans, very finely chopped and parboiled (2 tbsp)
- Fresh sweet corn kernels (makai) (1 tbsp)
- MTR Sambar Powder (1 tsp)
- MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder (1/2 tsp)
- Split black lentils (dhuli urad) (1 tsp)
- Split Bengal gram (chana dal) (1 tsp)
- Mustard seeds (sarson) (1 tsp)
- Curry leaves (kadipatta) chopped (2–3)
- Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya), finely chopped (1 tbsp)
- Clarified butter (ghee) (2 tbsp)
- In a pan, heat ghee over medium heat and add mustard seeds, when they splutter, add chopped curry leaves, coriander and both the dals. Sauté till they turn light brown in colour.
- Add the MTR Masala Idli Mix, MTR Sambar Powder and MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder. Stir to combine and then turn off the heat.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and set aside until it cools down to room temperature.
- Once cool, add curd and salt to it. The batter should be of dropping consistency and not too runny, if required, add water to get the right consistency.
- Now add carrot, beans and corn kernels to the batter.
- Prepare your idli steamer by greasing the mould with little ghee to avoid the idli sticking to the mould. You can prepare these idlis in a microwave friendly steamer as well.
- Once the steamer is ready, pour a spoonful of batter in each mould, close the lid and steam the idlis. In a microwave, it will take around 5–6 mins while in a gas steamer, it will take approximately 10 mins.
- To check idlis for doneness, insert a toothpick in them. If the toothpick comes out clean, the idli is done.
- With the help of a spoon, remove idlis from the mould. Transfer to a plate and serve Masala Idli hot with coconut chutney.
What are you craving for?
Maintained by: @The Digital Street