Ullundu Sadam (Urad dal rice) With Ellu Thogayal (sesame seed chutney) & Ghee
This is one of the most popular lunch combo served by kitchens all across Tamil Nadu. Since ages, it has been a grandmother’s food prescription for girls in their teens as they believed that this combination strengthens their bones and also acts as a potent toxin flusher. Apart from its natural advantages, the heady taste of this combination has made it popular among all age groups.
VIEW INDIVIDUAL RECIPES
Urad Dal Rice (Ullundu Sadam)
- Duration:10 minutes
- Serves:2 to 4 people
Remember to dry-roast the dal, as it will then give off a heady flavour and also get cooked quicker.
- Rice (1 cup)
- Whole black gram (sabut urad dal) (½ cup)
- Coconut, grated (¼ cup)
- Garlic (lahsun) (15 cloves)
- Salt (to taste)
- Water (3 cups)
- Heat oil in a kadhai and fry the urad dal in it for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Take it off the flame and in a deep-bottomed vessel, thoroughly wash the dal and rice together.
- In a pressure cooker, toss in the washed rice, dal, garlic cloves, grated coconut, salt and the required amount of water.
- Cook on a low flame, timing it to 2 whistles.
- Serve piping hot with ghee and sesame chutney.
Sesame Seeds Chutney (Ellu Thogayal)
- Duration:20 minutes
- Serves:3 to 4 people
Til burns very easily, so be careful while roasting it - keep the flame on a medium level and keep stirring. Once it has started turning pink, remove it from the hot kadhai immediately.
- White sesame seeds (safed til) (3 tbsp)
- Dry red chillies (sabut lal mirch) (5 to 6)
- Tamarind (imli), de-seeded (small, lemon-sized)
- Salt (to taste)
- Oil (1 tsp)
- Heat a kadhai and dry-roast the sesame seeds in it on a medium flame till they begin to splutter. Take care not to burn them.
- Transfer the roasted seeds onto a plate. Then, wash the seeds through a sieve for any mud in it to drain out.
- Add oil in a kadhai and fry the lal mirch in it.
- Meanwhile, soak the tamarind in a little water.
- Work up the sesame seeds, tamarind, lal mirch and salt in a mixer-grinder. It should turn into a smooth, thick paste. Then, add the soaked tamarind water to this and grind again.
- Serve Ellu Thogayal with urad dal rice, pappadam and ghee.
GET IT RIGHT
Grind coffee beans at home