In the node detail page
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Serves: 6-7 people
Spice Level: Low
Add 1 tsp lemon juice to the dough if the curd is not sour enough.
- 2082 views
Khatta Dhokla or White Dhokla is a famous Gujarati dhokla variant which is easy to make and a must in a Gujarati Thali. It is a healthy snack option and the tinge of sour taste adds to its uniqueness.
- Rice (1 cup)
- Split black gram (urad dal) (1/2 cup)
- Dahi (2 cups)
- Baking soda (1 tsp)
- Black pepper powder (kali mirch) (1 tsp)
- Salt (To Taste)
- Wash and soak both rice and urad dal in two separate bowls of water for 4 to5 hours.
- After 4 to5 hours, drain the water from both the vessels.
- Take a mixture jar and add the rice and dal into it. Now, add an appropriate amount of dahi and pour some water.
- Grind till it becomes a smooth batter which is neither very thick nor thin.
- Keep it in a warm place for about 5 to 6 hours for fermentation.
- In a bowl, add salt and some eno powder. Mix well and then, add to the mixture. Mix all the contents again.
- Heat water in a steamer on medium flame.
- Grease a plate with oil.
- Pour approximately 2 cups of batter in it.
- Sprinkle black pepper powder on it.
- Cover it with a lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- Open and check if cooked well enough with a knife. The batter should not stick to it.
- Remove the plate from the steamer and cut the cooked batter into diamond pieces.
- Serve hot with garlic and green chutney.