In the node detail page
Jaisalmeri Kala Chana
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Serves: 2–4 people
- 4616 views
This delicious black chickpea curry is made with curd, much like a kadhi. Traditionally, it is served with missi roti.
- Black chickpea (kala chana) (1 cup)
- Curd (dahi) (1/2 cup)
- Chickpea flour (besan) (2 tsp)
- MTR Haldi Turmeric Powder (1 tsp)
- MTR Lal Mirch Red Chilli Powder (1 tsp)
- MTR Garam Masala (1 tsp)
- Asafoetida (hing) (a pinch)
- MTR Dhaniya Coriander Powder (1 tsp)
- Green chillies, finely chopped (1 tsp)
- Cumin seeds (1 tsp)
- Desi ghee (3 tbsp)
- Salt ( to taste )
- Coriander leaves (hara dhania), chopped (for garnish)
- Thoroughly wash and soak chana overnight (or for at least six hours) in sufficient water.
- Drain water and pressure cook the chana in fresh water through at least 5 to 6 whistles and then lower flame to cook for 15 minutes more before switching off the heat.
- Once the steam escapes naturally, drain out the chana water in a bowl and keep aside.
- Transfer it to a bowl and mash lightly.
- In another bowl, mix besan, MTR Haldi/Turmeric Powder, salt, MTR Lal Mirch/Red Chilli Powder, MTR Dhaniya/Coriander Powder and MTR Garam Masala to form a smooth mixture.
- Add green chillies and 1 cup of the chana water and mix well.
- In a kadhai, heat ghee and add jeera. Once it crackles, add hing and pour in the curd. Stir for a minute.
- Add chana, salt and the leftover chana water. Bring to boil and simmer for five minutes.
- Garnish with hara dhania and serve hot with missi roti or paratha and malai mirch.